At the end of the summer, the hair is usually more damaged than when it began.Loss of healthy and grooming routines, along with high exposure to the sun and water in the pool or beach, cause hair to become dehydrated, lose flexibility, weaken and become more brittle.Toregain hair health after summerit is necessary to take care of it both internally and externally.
Why is your hair damaged more in summer?
The hair shaft is made up of three layers: the cuticle, the cortex, and the medulla.The cuticle is the layer that gives the hair shine and texture and is responsible for protecting it from external aggressions.During the summer, long exposures toUVB and UVA raysfrom the sun can degrade the amino acids that compose it (such as cystine or methionine) causing aloss of shinein the hair.In addition, if these exposures are longer, they can cause more intense damage to the cuticle and cause greater wear, generatingfrizz and split ends.
For his part,pool water chlorineit alters the keratin of the hair (one of its proteins) in addition to its fatty acids.This causes dehydration not only in the hair but also in the scalp.In the case ofseawaterDue to its high pH, the hair can lose elasticity, shine and consistency.
In the cuticle there is ahigher amount of amino acidsthan in the crust.If the cuticle is lost, the hair will become brittle and reactive, making it more difficult to style.
On the other hand, if we have not been careful to protect our scalp from the sun, we canproduce burnsin it, thus affecting the root of the hair and aggravating the seasonal fall of autumn.Sometimes it can also cause the appearance oftelogen effluvium, an increase in hair loss due to the alteration of the growth cycle of the same.
Change starts from the inside out
The cells of the hair follicle, where hair growth occurs, have a fewhigh energy requirements so they need an adequate nutritional intakefor its correct operation.Also, they can be very sensitive to any variation in diet.
In summer, it is normal to alter the eating routine and introduce foods with lower nutritional quality.This is one of the reasons why hair is also weaker in the summer.
To regain capillary health, one of the most beneficial diets is theMediterranean diet.An example is that the consumption of fresh herbs and vegetables (very abundant in this diet) canreduce the risk of androgenetic alopecia.
Aspects to take into account to improve post-holiday eating
In order to nourish our hair from the inside, it is first necessary to know some of its main structural components.In this way we can understand the importance of abalanced dietwith acorrect intake of both macronutrientslikemicronutrients(vitamins and minerals).
Proteins and amino acids
Hair is made up of 70% water and salts, 28% proteins and 2% lipids.
Theproteinhair is mostly keratin, which unlike skin keratin has a higher amount of sulfur.Keratin is made up mainly ofamino acidssulfur compounds, such as cystine or methionine, which form the disulfide bridges of the hair that give the hair its structure and give it firmness and resistance.Other amino acids that compose it are arginine, phenylalanine, tyrosine and tryptophan, among others.
Vitamins are necessary for hair to develop properly.There are fat-soluble and water-soluble vitamins.It is important to note that both a deficiency and an excess of vitamins can have a detrimental effect on the hair, so it is essential to maintain abalanced diet.
- Fat-soluble vitamins
- Vitamin A:acts by prolonging the hair growth phase and shortening the hair loss phase.In addition, it also participates in the conversion of hair type hair to terminal hair.We can find it in spinach, carrots, mango, peach, egg and cheese.
- Vitamin D:It is a fundamental antioxidant, as it is essential for the body to absorb nutrients such as phosphorus and calcium, which are very important to stimulate the growth of hair follicles.In this way the hair will grow stronger.We can find it mainly in products of animal origin such as salmon, sardines, cheese, egg yolk, liver and mushrooms.
- Vitamin E:protects cells from oxidative damage and, therefore, hair against the effect of the sun and pollutants.We can find it in soybeans, wheat, cereals, spinach and nuts.
- Water-soluble Vitamins
- Vitamin B complex:it has a very important role in the cellular metabolism of carbohydrates, lipids and proteins, as well as in cellular regeneration processes.We can find them in whole grains, legumes, turkey, salmon, peas and nuts.
- Vitamin C:it is a powerful antioxidant.In addition, it acts in the synthesis of collagen, an essential protein for hair growth.On the other hand, one of its metabolites, L-ascorbic acid, helps in the absorption of iron, also necessary for hair growth.We can find it in parsley, red peppers, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, kiwi, papaya, and citrus.
Hair is also composed of minerals, so an adequate contribution through diet will be essential to develop strong and healthy hair.
- Zinc:It is part of the synthesis of keratin and protects cells from free radicals.Its deficit can cause hair loss and / or a fragile hair fiber.On the other hand, excess zinc intake can cause hair loss, by altering the absorption of copper, iron and magnesium.Zinc is present in bananas, figs, soybeans, eggplants, asparagus, and celery.
- Copper:It is important in the production of collagen and melanin, which helps us to maintain hair with elasticity and a natural color.Copper is found in legumes, nuts, potatoes, dehydrated fruits such as plums, cocoa, black pepper, and yeast.
- Silica:It increases the production of collagen and strengthens the disulfide bridges, thus maintaining the strength and elasticity of the hair.Silica is found in whole grains (rice, oats, barley, rye, wheat), millet, green beans, and nuts.
Oxidative stress in our body produces tissue damage at various levels.Theantioxidantsthey prevent oxidative damage and, at the hair level, help protect and keep it healthy.Some examples of foods rich in antioxidants are:
- Seaweed: they contain flavinoids that could contribute to hair growth.
- Grape seeds: they have polyphenols in their extract as well as vitamin E.
- Turmeric: it is an antioxidant that counteracts the inflammatory response caused by aging, stress and the environment that can damage hair.
- Amaranth: it is an antioxidant and is also a source of calcium and lysine.
- Red fruits: they have anthocyanins that are antioxidants that protect our cells from cell degeneration.
What is the role of nutricosmetics in hair care after summer
Nutricosmetics are suitable to complement healthy hair care routinesafter the summer.They can provide hair with the nutrients it needs and help it heal from the inside out.
Nutricosmetics likeOlisticThey act in a comprehensive way to stop hair loss and promote the growth of healthy and strong hair from the roots.Its formula, based on natural ingredients such as pumpkin seeds, licorice, vitamin C, millet or black cumin, among others, acts on the different causes that produce weakness and hair loss.
Nutricosmetics are the perfect complement to a healthy diet, especially after the summer, which is when the diet is altered.They act as a backup, completing the supply of nutrients that our body lacks.
Not only do they complement a healthy diet, but they are goodallies against the effects of aging, when the body decreases the production of essential substances to maintain the structure of the hair, nails and skin.
Hair Care Routine After Summer
In addition to a proper diet and nourishing the hair from the inside, it is important to take care of the hair from the outside.The following tips can help keep yourclean and healthy hair.
- Periodically wash your hair:hair washing has the function of removing residues such asaccumulated flaking or sebumon the scalp.The amount of weekly washes is very personal and will depend on factors such as age, the physical activity carried out on the day and the time of year in which you are.It is important to clarify thatwashing hair every day does not cause further hair loss.
- Choose the most suitable shampoo:Depending on whether the hair is dry, oily or sensitive, one type of shampoo or another will be necessary.In addition, the components of the shampoo that come into contact with the scalp do not penetrate the hair root, sodo not influence their growth.
- Hydrates the hair shaft:This step is especially important after returning from vacation due to the high dehydration of the hair.There are different products with different properties that fulfill this function, such as serums, conditioners or masks.
What should i avoid?
- Reduce the use of dryers and irons.Although the use of irons and dryers does not favor the development of alopecia, they can worsen the quality of the hair by dehydrating it excessively.The heat causes the keratin fibers to become more brittle and eventually break down.You don't have to keep them out of your routine, but yesit is advisable to reduce their frequency of use and modulate the temperature at which you use them.
- Ditch the tobacco.Nicotine in tobacco is avasoconstrictor substance.By slowing down the blood supply to the follicle, hair growth can be affected.In addition, the toxic substances in an environment with tobacco smoke canmodify the physical characteristics of the haircausing dryness and loss of shine.
- Choice of dyes.Depending on the state in which the hair is, we must assess the type of dye we want to apply.It is important to note thatdyeing your hair is not a cause of hair loss, but it can damage its structure and alter the quality of the hair fiber.
- Temporary dyes:they do not damage the cuticle since the pigment is deposited in the most superficial layers of the scalp and therefore they are less aggressive.
- Permanent dyes:They produce a separation of the cuticle to deposit the pigment in the cortex, so they can be more aggressive.
The continuous exposures of our hair to water and the sun during the summer affect the quality of the existing hair and factors such as our eating habits can alter the quality of the hair in formation.
To regain hair health after summerit is important to take care of it both internally and externallycombining hair care routines with good healthy habits.